Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, Barbie!

Barbie turns 50 years old today!
Wow! Doesn't she look mahvelous?

When I interviewed at Mattel in the '80s, I originally interviewed for a position in the Barbie Design department - Barbie Accessories. That fateful day, I also interviewed for the Girls R&D Department and that's where I landed. After a few years in Girl's Dolls and Plush, I made the decision to move to Infant/Preschool.

Today, there has been a lot of discussion about Barbie and her role in society. In another post, I will comment on many issues raised in a new book about Mattel. This post is about my own personal love of Barbie.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's - the days of one Barbie per child. My Barbie accessories were cardboard box beds, dishtowel comforters, and bathtub swimming pools. My bedroom or my best friend's bedroom was Barbie island and we pleaded with our parents to let us keep Barbie's "house" up until the next playdate.

In honor of Barbie's birthday, I paid her a visit in my china cabinet. Yes, I only have one Barbie left. My parents gave my Barbies, her clothing, and her storage case to my younger cousin. Years later, I pleaded with her to give me one of my Barbies.

I loved that outfit. Yes, the boots came with another outfit!
Barbie was not a sexy grown-up that I emulated. She was a catalyst for hours and hours of extremely creative play, by myself and with friends. For her, I created cars, houses, families, pets, horses, boats, swimming pools, dance studios, boyfriends, birthday parties, and environments IN MY HEAD!
When my mom taught me how to sew, I designed the most gorgeous outfits for Barbie (at least, in my imagination they were gorgeous).
And, sadly, I remember the day in sixth grade when I no longer wanted "to play" Barbie. I felt that same pain when my daughter felt she was "too old", but I understood. Scientist now say that children start to lose that creative thought in fourth grade.



This is my grandma's Barbie - not one of the very first ones manufactured. (Notice the "greening" on her ear from the earring?)
Grandma was in her thirties when Barbie came out and she bought this for herself. She cut off Barbie's feet, so she could stand. Then, Grandma painted on red fingernail polish for shoes. Also, Grandma cut off some of her own hair and glued it onto Barbie's private parts. Yup. This is how an adult saw Barbie - a grown-up mature woman. To me, Barbie was years of the best play imaginable. The creation of Barbie's life in my mind was priceless.




So, with that, I have to say thank you to Barbie - for five decades of creative play for all the little girls (and boys) in the world.
Have a wonderful Birthday! Here's to many, many more years!

No comments: