Thursday, February 12, 2009

Scholastic Book Club Controversy

Scholastic Accused of Misusing Book Clubs
Published: February 10, 2009
A consumer watchdog group accuses the children’s publisher of using its classroom book clubs to push video games, jewelry kits and toy cars.


As a mom very well-versed in the Scholastic Book Club fliers, all the items promoted support reading and books.
If your child wants the silly stuff and you don't, maybe that is a good time for a discussion about appropriate purchases. You don't really HAVE to buy the objectionable item.
I guess society just loves to complain.
Scholastic books ordered through school were some of my most cherished items from childhood!


Here's the link.

2 comments:

Linda D. (sbk) said...

Well, it's all about being able to say no, really. I've always hated the little toys and video games that come in the catalogues. It's called having rules for your kids.

My kids all know, if it comes with a toy, Mom's not buying it. I'll confess it took me a few years to figure out that the kids only asked for the books with the toys. The toys were abandoned two days after receiving them and the books were never read.

I'm much smarter now.

Vanessa said...

I agree, there must be a balance. If the kids are going to be online or watching tv, video games- they might as well be doing something creative. I found this great site for my little girl to design jewelry online.... and mom too. http://www.designjewelry.com